Bacon and Brie Risotto
Prep time: 4 minutes
Cooking time: 20 – 30 minutes
8 rashers of bacon
3 cloves of garlic
180g risotto rice
80g of brie cheese
1 chicken stock and 500ml of boiled water
1 teaspoon of coconut oil
Optional – Cranberry sauce, salad, broccoli, green beans
- Chop bacon into small pieces and fry in a pan with the coconut oil.
- Peel and chop the onion and garlic, then add to the pan.
- After about 4 minutes when the onion softens add the rice and stir for another 2 minutes.
- Add the stock to 500ml of boiled water. Then add three quarters of it to the rice. As the rice starts to absorb the water continue to add the remaining water gradually.
- After about 15 minutes when the rice has absorbed all the water, chop, add and stir the brie until it melts.
- Serve with cranberry sauce, vegetables or salad.
Risotto is a good cheap recipe that does not use many ingredients. It contains a good balance of all three macro nutrition’s, carbohydrate, fats and protein. However, it is lacking in micro nutrition’s, so would need to be served with vegetables or a salad.
This is a winner in our house and the children often enjoy the leftovers in their lunch boxes the next day.